Negotiating and Applying Influence and Power
Course 2 of 4 in Leadership Principles for Engineers, Scientists, and Researchers
- START DATE February 17, 2020
- TIME COMMITMENT 5 Hours per Week
- DURATION 3 Weeks
- FORMAT Online
- PRICE $849
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Learn negotiation strategies for coping with the unknowns while still getting a beneficial agreement. Understand and practice how to not only maintain connections but how to build and reinforce relationships for the future. View the week by week schedule here.
- Learn key terms and strategies from negotiation and conflict resolution theory, theories of social influence (persuasion) and theories regarding the exercise of power within and between organizations.
- Build awareness of multicultural interactions in the workplace, particularly in regard to different perspectives on negotiation.
- Demonstrate theory through multiple real-time role-play simulations followed by peer feedback.
- Identify tensions within co-working teams and understand how best to balance competing ideas and interests while finding common ground.
- Construct a personal theory of practice regarding negotiation, social influence, and the exercise of power inside organizations and multiparty situations.
- Develop the tools and the playbook needed to continue to learn from personal negotiation and organizational leadership efforts after completing the course.
WHO SHOULD ENROLL
Early and mid-career engineering, science, and research professionals
Managers and individual contributors in technical organizations who are eager to add more value to their teams and organizations
Busy, ambitious technical professionals looking to advance their leadership and technical capacities while on the job
HOW YOU WILL LEARN
WORRIED ABOUT WORK/LIFE BALANCE?
Learn online - when and where you would like.
WANT A CONFIRMATION OF SUCCESS?
Earn a Professional Certificate and 1.25 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) from MIT.
NEED A NETWORK?
Connect with an international community of professionals while working on projects based on real-world examples.
LOOKING TO INNOVATE?
Gain insights from leading MIT faculty and industry experts.
READY FOR FEEDBACK?
Benefit from a robust, collaborative learning environment.
INTERESTED IN THE LATEST TRENDS?
Access cutting edge, research-based multimedia content developed by MIT professors & industry experts.
WHAT LEARNERS ARE SAYING
Professionals from companies like Boeing, Boston Scientific, and the U.S. Air Force have completed this program
Sue Anne Martinez, Global Quality Assurance Engineer, The Boeing Company
The simulations are fun. It lets you apply the content and learn which approach works best for each situation. You will find that your methodology ch…Continue Reading
Cody Jacobucci, Airframe Stress Analyst, Aurora Flight Sciences
The simulations were a blast for me. I never have had the chance to be in a real formal negotiation and I suspect these will be the only formal negot…Continue Reading
Edward Alliston, Lead Technical Engineer, Boeing Defense UK
I have really enjoyed how the role-play aspects of this course gave me an opportunity to try some of the things we have learned. I have been lucky to…Continue Reading
Debbie Brey, Enterprise Agile Transformation Leader, The Boeing Company
I kind of dreaded this topic as I have never liked any formal contract negotiations that I have played a part in. However, as I learned more about th…Continue Reading
Ford Professor of Urban Planning and Environmental Planning, MIT
COURSES IN THIS PROGRAM
To earn a Professional Certificate, you must complete the four courses in the program. For those who do not want to commit to the full program, courses can be taken on an individual basis. Savings apply when enrolling into the full program.
Course 1 of 4 in Leadership Principles for Engineers, Scientists, and Researchersview detail
Course 4 of 4 in Leadership Principles for Engineers, Scientists, and Researchersview detail
THE BEST COMPANIES CONNECT WITH THE BEST MINDS AT MIT
Deepen your team’s career knowledge and expand their abilities with MIT xPRO’s online courses for professionals. Develop customized learning for your team with bespoke courses and programs on your schedule. Set a standard of knowledge and skills, leading to effective communication among employees and consistency across the enterprise.
Find out what MIT xPRO can do for your team.INQUIRE NOW