Models in Engineering
Course 2 of 4 in Architecture and Systems Engineering: Models and Methods to Manage Complex Systems
- START DATE November 11, 2019
- TIME COMMITMENT 4-6 hours per week
- DURATION 4 weeks
- FORMAT Online
- PRICE $949
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Gain a comprehensive understanding of practical and conceptual modeling considerations. View the week by week schedule here.
- Explain what types of models exist in engineering and how they can be organized into an overall taxonomy.
- Enumerate the purposes for which models are created in engineering and evaluate the success of modeling for those purposes against your own career experience.
- Describe a potential model development process, leading to models of increasing levels of fidelity.
- Demonstrate through examples how models are used to make decisions in engineering and how models can be used for optimization, including the definition of design variables, fixed parameters, objective functions and constraints.
- Evaluate the credibility and fidelity of existing models using a set of clear criteria.
- Evaluate and explain whether it is better to pursue a single model or an ensemble of models in support of a specific problem/decision. This includes the resolution of conflicts when multiple models provide contradictory results.
- Explain the basic principles of combining subsystem models together into a system model in a multidisciplinary computational environment.
- Understand the basic principles of verifying and validating models.
- Examine the tradeoffs between the use of physical and virtual prototypes for system verification, validation, and testing. Decide when to invest in additional modeling versus additional physical testing of systems.
WHO SHOULD ENROLL
Aerospace, automotive, defense, consumer appliances, and manufacturing industry professionals
Engineers at original equipment manufacturers (OEM)
Any systems engineering professional, director, or senior manager looking to innovate and optimize their operational, manufacturing, and design systems
HOW YOU WILL LEARN
Worried about work/life balance?
Learn online - when and where you would like.
Want a confirmation of success?
Earn a Professional Certificate and 2 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) from MIT.
Need a network?
Connect with an international community of professionals while working on projects based on real-world examples.
Looking to innovate?
Gain insights from leading MIT faculty and industry experts from Boeing and NASA, US Air Force, GE, GM, Apple, MAN Truck, and Bus AG.
Ready for feedback?
Benefit from a robust, collaborative learning environment.
Interested in the latest trends?
Access cutting edge, research-based content developed by MIT professors and industry experts.
WHAT LEARNERS AND COMPANIES ARE SAYING
More than 6,300 professionals have completed MIT xPRO's Systems Engineering Program
Siddharth Kshirsagar, System Performance Engineer, Cummins Inc.
Architecture and Systems Engineering Professional Certificate has motivated me about the need of system engineering in our daily work life. No matter…Continue Reading
Michael UY, Senior Principal Engineer, Northrup Grumman
It was a great program with many tangible working tools that were immediately applicable to projects I had going on during my time in the certificate…Continue Reading
Neena Rajan, Engineering Project Manager, Siemens - Healthcare
"If I had to borrow one quote to summarize what I gained from this course, it would be the quote by Lou Holtz: "It's not the load that breaks you dow…Continue Reading
Ron Aditya, Spacecraft GNC Engineer, Lockheed Martin
This program has helped me develop the system level perspective necessary to decompose complex system architecture problems and solve them in ways th…Continue Reading
Martin Ryschka, Production Manager, Allgaier de Puebla, Mexico
During my time studying for the MBSE course, I realized that the architecture of models begins where the engineering part ends.
Jorge Samayoa, Senior Mechanical Engineer, Georg Fischer Signet LLC
I believe [my new knowledge] will increase our ability to assure and deliver quality to our customers, streamline our development process and improve…Continue Reading
Lori Strange, Program Manager, BAE Systems
I can definitely say that I have learned more about Systems Engineering, decomposing a system, architectural frameworks, and roles of the System Arch…Continue Reading
Nick Luther, Staff Engineer, Plexus Corp
This course provides a structured way of thinking which I can apply to frame architectural and other critical decisions.
Clayton Smith, Aerodynamicist, General Atomics
I had high expectations and they were adequately met! The content was just what I'd hoped.
Michael Richey, Chief Learning Scientist, Associate Technical Fellow, The Boeing Company
The certificate [program] blends industry and academic expertise and represents a scalable solution for employers.
Barry O'Reilly, Founder, Black Tulip Technology
I loved the course, even if it was intimidating to study with so many “real engineers”. I’m using what I learned to change the way we do architecture…Continue Reading
Jordan Tuzsuzov, Chief Engineer, Visteon Corporation
How to think holistically for the system, to design, model, compose and decompose it - this is what I have learned with MIT's "Architecture and Syste…Continue Reading
MIT FACULTY AND INDUSTRY EXPERTS
Bruce G. Cameron
Director of the System Architecture Lab, MIT
Olivier L. de Weck
Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics Engineering Systems, MIT, Editor-in-Chief of Systems Engineering, INCOSE Fellow
Director, Systems Engineering Advancement Research Initiative, MIT
Research Scientist, MIT Socio-technical Systems Research Center Co-Founder, MIT Systems Engineering Advancement Research Initiative (SEARI)
Boeing Assistant Professor, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics and Astronaut Candidate
COURSES IN THIS PROGRAM
To earn a Professional Certificate, you must complete the four courses in the program. For those who do not want to commit to the full program, courses can be taken on an individual basis. Savings apply when enrolling into the full program.
Course 3 of 4 in Architecture and Systems Engineering: Models and Methods to Manage Complex Systemsview detail
THE BEST COMPANIES CONNECT WITH THE BEST MINDS AT MIT
Deepen your team’s career knowledge and expand their abilities with MIT xPRO’s online courses for professionals. Develop customized learning for your team with bespoke courses and programs on your schedule. Set a standard of knowledge and skills, leading to effective communication among employees and consistency across the enterprise.
Find out what MIT xPRO can do for your team.Inquire Now